Sunday 26 May 2013

Whilst Travelling in the Desert

Greetings Nomad fans.  The holiday away from home continues.  Nanny is 90 years young on Monday.  I am returned for a visit on such a special occasion.   I took a few supplies with me in the hope that there would be time to craft.  I realise that maybe my choices were not totally wise.  Using my Desert Nomad analogy, usually I am in my oasis, all I need and the crafty stash.  At the moment I am crossing the desert.  Plenty food and drink and a canvas to sleep under but very lacking those little things that make life so easy.  Like my knives and scissors!!  And a black ink pad!!  

I posed a question on my last post, "if you were stranded on a desert island what 5 craft things would you want with you?".  The only taker so far has been Kay Wallace, so thanks for that Kay.  Tonight I realise my list would probably read 1) a good sharp knife, 2) a black ink pad, 3) a tube of UHU, so versatile that I think it should be in every Man Friday Desert Island Kit,  4) a block of patterned paper, tonight I'm leaning heavily towards DCWV Far East Stack because that's a very recent addition and I love it, but tomorrow is another day so........, 5) hmmmmm, Lynne Perrella stamps, can I take them all?, no, oh OK then it will have to be LPC022, new at PaperArtsy, brand new to me.  Love 'em.  I think I could get something going with these five and some desert island found items.  Kay and I are very interested to hear what you think are the 5 most essential crafty items so if you have time and inclination, we are all ears.....



I prepared the base of this tag before my travels, one of my wiser choices.  It has been painted with acrylic in shades of blue and then I used white texture paste and Tando Ink Splatters mask.  I stamped some of the small stamps from PaperArtsy LPC022 in black and purple.  

I stamped one of the images on to a page from DCWV Far East stack.  As implied earlier I don't have a black ink pad with me but yesterday I did acquire some American Crafts Memory Markers and Galaxy Markers.  For your edification and delight next time you find yourself on the back of a camel, the Memory Markers are OK to ink a stamp although I would suggest a small image as they dry fast.  The Galaxy Markers were a bad idea!!  They dried too fast and it was difficult to clean the stamp after with only soap and water.  The memory markers washed away easily.  I think it's always nice to share our little experiments.........

OK so my main image is stamped.  The DCWV stack is textured, which is quite obvious, and I decided I liked it.  I was going to colour a bit but decided it was lovely without.  The bead trim was bought special today for this project from the local haberdashery.  What a great word that is.  Haberdashery.  I folded it in half to hide the stitching on the back of the ribbon but also because I fancied lots of dangles.  I cut it slightly too long so clipped a single bead string off.  This fitted perfectly as a hair ornament for my Asian girl.  A bit of ripped cotton and a metal staple and voilà....

Joining the fun over at
PaperArtsy I've been inspired this week by Carol Quance
Joanna Sheen Challenge - Girls, Girls, Girls
Craft-room Challenge - Stamp your own background 

Thanks for dropping by.  Have a great weekend. 

8 comments:

Sylvia said...

Fabulous set of stamps, great tag and lovely beadwork.

My 5 desert island takes would be a craft knife, black Stazon ink pad, a set of stamps (too many to choose from, would have to be something new that I hadn't used before) the summer set of Tim Haltz distress inks if this counts as one item and a box of card.

I may take these with me when I am away next to see if my choice was wise!

Sylv xx

Julie Lee said...

Beautiful beads and lovely oriental colours. Impressive indeed for a desert wanderer! My Desert island 5 = Paper Artsy Smoothy card; Peacock Feathers DI; Archival black ink pad; LPC 004 and Glossy Accents; but I'd probably find I couldn't survive with those alone!

Zoechaos said...

What a great read, thank you. Terrific tag especially as you are under such trying circumstances thank you for sharing with us at Craft-Room Challenge.

Turning to your question, if you will permit kits to count as 1 thing please
Scissors and the little gizmo to keep them sharp
Basic colours set of Adirondack inks (including black!)
Good quality colouring pens such a Whisper pens
Set of general use stamps complete with acrylic block.
Glue
Problem with just 5 nothing to use all this on! XOXO Zoe

Kay Wallace said...

Darn, I forgot all about stamps and markers and ink pads and scissors and a craft knife---and I now think I must (at least) take 10 things for my desert isle! Actually, Gail, this has been fun to think about and I now find myself wondering why I have all this *stuff* in my studio??? Another great tag. I love that DCWV Far East pad! You have made me want to create with it when I get home. Sweet image on this tag, by the way! ;-)

Carol Q said...

I like your use of the splatters mask. great interpretation of the tag!

PaperArtsy said...

Because its a bold stamp with lots of black, it does turn out OK on the textured card doesn't it! Interested effect! Thanks for joining in this week.

hazel said...

A brilliant tag. Thank you for joining us at Craft Room Challenge.
xxx Hazel.

PiHi said...

I like your background splatters and cool blue. You have also used glass pearls in a fun way!