Friday 30 August 2013

Bring on The Clowns

Hello again blog friends, followers, happy hoppers.  So glad you could join me.  It's nearly the weekend and the end of the month so working hard to finish up some projects and get them posted.  Over at Altered Pages the challenge this month is Green.  What a great colour.  What a great idea.  Let's go green....

I started off by upcycling some wooden domino's I found in a charity shop.  It's the green thing to do ;-)  These places can be little treasure troves.  You never know what you will find.  I found these....


Hey 99p how can you go wrong?  Actually they are quite cute but I was thinking more the altered art possibilities......   So I sanded a few and painted them white, cos the cows were quite difficult to get rid of.  The rabbits went whoosh, but those cows were a bit persistent.   


Then I added the green collage background from Altered Pages Time Collage Backgrounds 1724D


Some patterned tape involving elements of green


Some clocks from the same Altered Pages collage sheet


Some dots of Pebeo Fantasy Prime in Emerald. 


A clown from Altered Pages Victorian Clown Collage Sheet 1153D.  I have to admit at this point that this is the second clown I used, and the second domino.  I took pictures of my first one but they were so blurred I decided to make another and try and get some better pictures second time around.  


Back to my first choice clown, because he was wearing green.  I wrapped my domino with copper tape.  This is called new wave I think.  It comes with one edge cut to a nice wave pattern so stained glass artists can look really fancy.  I bought this in the US many years ago and it wasn't available in the UK at that time.  Maybe it is now.  You have to love the bling.  I covered it all in glossy accents. 


I made a little chain of polished jade chips so he can dangle.  Very pleased.  As mentioned I made a second.  I managed, despite best efforts to get a couple of air bubbles in the glossy accents.  I pop them if I see them but these little blighters stayed hidden til it was too late.  Any tips gratefully received.   Is there another product out there anyone would like to recommend that gives a good glossy cover and is hard wearing.  I thought this would make a good key chain or dangle but don't know if the glossy accents will survive being in a pocket with keys etc.  Maybe I'll give it a test run.  I'm sure if it survives me it will do well anywhere.  

Here's my clownish pair.  What a great little gift.  I can see me making a small pile of these.  Must check out Altered Pages for some more fun collage images.  

Joining the fun at
Altered Pages - Green
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge -  Dotty
Craft-room Challenge - Something New this is the first time I have altered dominos
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challange - Anything Goes

Thanks for dropping by.  All comments  welcome and any tips on the glossy stuff gratefully received.  Have a great day. 

11 comments:

Sylvia said...

Love your altered domino key chains. Not a lover of clowns but your collage dominoes look fabulous. Not sure what I would use other than glossy accents, maybe a melt pot with clear embossing enamel (if I was lucky enough to own one).

Sylv

ddazzled71 said...

Your altered dominoes are just fabulous, I am loving the wonderful backgrounds and these sweet clowns. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Altered Pages again this month. Your continued support of our challenges is much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

These are totally fabulous! Pinned to my Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog Awesomeness Pinterest Board :) - Ashli

Lyneen said...

AMAZING!!! LOVE them, your dominos with the clowns are wonderful!!! Thanks for joining the Altered Pages Challenge!!!

Heather said...

Fabulous key chains, your backgrounds are stunning and I love your sweet clowns!!

Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
hugs
Heather xx

Corrie Herriman said...

These altered domino stones are absolutely marvelous !
Love them!

Meihsia Liu said...

What a fantastic altered key chain project! I love the beautiful background you made and the fun image you used. Great design! Thank you so much for sharing withus at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge. :)

Debi said...

these are Fab- I love how your new thing is the altering of dominos for the first time :-) Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Room Challenge, Debi x

Mervi said...

Fabulous altering, looks really cute!
Thank you for sharing at Craft-Room Challenge;-))m

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

These are amazing! I admit to having a slight clown phobia, but I can still appreciate great art when I see it...and this is great art! I love the sort of watery look to it and your combo of papers and patterns is extraordinary. Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog.

Gia Lau said...

I am one of your biggest fans, and I am sorry I am late to your blog this month- but I LOVE your clowns from A to Z- the upcycling of the dominos to the finished pieces are just lovely! Thanks for your support of Altered Pages!