Wednesday 23 October 2013

Sometimes We Amaze Ourself

Hello.  Welcome.  Gosh, isn't the month just clipping along.  I have my annual harvest/thanksgiving/pumpkin party on Saturday.  Not really ready but I'm sure it will be alright on the night.  At least the pumpkin patch did it's bit this year.  Last year was a wash out.  This year my star of the show, named ED, cos when you put a light in him he becomes a shrunken 'ed, ha ha ROFL, sorry sad case humor.  Anyway, that wasn't a sentence, Ed is 21kg, that's about 44lb for those on the other side of the pond.  A respectable specimen.  The boys are going to be carving tomorrow and I am hoping for serious art.  Hmmmmm, does that count as 'altered art'????

Tonight I have a little something that is just so out of my comfort zone I think I must have been possesed.  Bwahahahahahahahahahaha.  Hope he or she pays a return visit because I am very pleased with my vintage effort.  I don't do vintage.  I like the style but it never turns out right for me.  I don't do lots of fluff and nonsense, but lo and behold plenty embellishment happening tonight.  Maybe it's just the fact that this one has been coming together over a few days so I've had time to add a little, take a bit away, add a little more.  Must try that more often.  Finding time!!  LOL


Over at Eclectic Paperie they have challenged us to alter a box.  I found these acrylic pillow boxes the other day when I was having a bit of a tidy so I thought I'd try to do something with it.  Ignore the lightning flash on the photo.  This is a clear acrylic box some embossing folders came in.


I covered my box with some handmade paper.  This is quite thick and soft with a lovely texture.   I stuck it to the box using double sided carpet tape.  Serious stick power.  Cheery Lynn's challenge is vintage.  Not a strong style for me but I thought I'd see how I got on.  Decided to go with neutral and brown colours.  This is where the fun of putting it together overtook the photo taking.  I started well......


Ta dah.....finished.  Sorry about that.  Lets see......  The music paper, the stars and the butterflies are 7 Gypsies Harmony double sided papers, available from EP.  I used three different papers but obviously they have a different pattern on the back!  Loved that when I cut the Cheery Lynn Mini Dimensional Butterflies cos it was like two for one, just turn them over for a totally different look.  So I ripped some on the 7G music paper and the darker brown strip is crunchy waxed paper from PaperArtsy that I stamped with the bottle stamp from LPC01.  Can't see much of that but trust me it's fab.  The string is some white kitchen string I coloured with Walnut Stain DI and then washed to get the right shade.  The image from LOTV Action Time art pad was ripped and matted onto another piece of that handmade paper, this time a pale brown colour.  The edges of all the papers and the box have been coloured with VersaMagic Gingerbread and Jumbo Java.


The Cheery Lynn Dreamcatcher #2 was cut from the brown handmade paper and tinted with the VersaMagic inks.  I added some seed beads.  These are the tiniest seed beads I have ever tried to work with.  There's more hole than bead!!  Definitely more fiddle than I would usually do but worth the effort I think.  


The stars look great but were so simple.  Dawny P had a wreath made with these today over at LOTV but gave the original link so check out the tut here.  I cut them using a Spellbinders stars die.  I added some copper rings from Korthobby which are supposed to be necklace locks but they looked good here soooooo........


I think that's everything.  I think this will make a great gift box for a boy.  It's not so big but I think some chocolate and maybe a gift card would fit in there great for a lovely birthday present.  Please let me know what you think. 

My altered box is joining the fun at
Cheery Lynn Designs Challenge 103 - Vintage
Eclectic Paperie October Get Altered Challenge - Alter a Box
LOTV - Anything Goes
Korthobby Oktober Utfordringen - Til en Mann
Hjerteboden Utfordring 10 - Bingo charm, bursday, 3 mønster ark, 

Thanks for dropping by.  Leave me a little love.  A comment gives you a chance at this candy

10 comments:

Irina Gerschuk said...

Fabulous project!!! Love all the cutie details))) And the colors are just yummy!!
Thank you so much for joining our challenge at Cheery Lynn Designs and good luck)))

Kim said...

Darling project! One of the best altered pillow boxes I've seen! :-) Thanks so much for playing along with the eclectic Paperie challenge!

Karen said...

Love your beads on the dreamcatcher! It's so beautiful! what a fabulous project and I too think if will be a great gift for a birthday present!
Thanks for playing along in the weekly Cheery Lynn Designs challenge! -Karen

Audhild said...

Your card is beautiful. Thank you for joining our challenge in Hjerteboden this month.
Hugs, Audhild

Micki said...

Gorgeous. Love how you altered that box (I have several of those in my closet). Beautiful! Thanks so much for playing along with the eTeam in our Get Altered Challenge.

Amy Voorthuis said...

AAHHWW what a gorgeous entry!!! Your gift box has such great colours and I love that little guy and how you coloured him! I need to try this someday I'm very inspired because of you thank you!!
Also a big thank you for playing with us this week at Cheery Lynn Designs and good luck!!

Hugs Amy ;-)

shulsart said...

Iona, excellent vintage gift box. Love all the little extra embellishments that totally work. You did a great job for being out of your comfort zone. Good luck and thanks for joining in on the fun at Cheery Lynn Designs challenge.

Sheila said...

Just adorable, thanks for joining us this week at Cheery Lynn Designs.
Hugs
Sheila xx

Camilla said...

A wonderful card Gail! I love the stars!!
Thank you so much to for joining our challenge at Hjerteboden.
Big hugs, Camilla

Erica said...

Hi Gail,

Thanks for joining our Lili of the Valley 'Anything Goes' challenge with your gorgeous box!

Good luck!

Hugs

Erica x