Sunday 12 October 2014

Danse Macabre

Hello.  Welcome.  Here's my post for this weeks altered playing cards.  Hurrah, up to date.  It's week 6 already and I am so pleased I have caught up.  This is such a fun challenge and I am trying to copy Claudine's where I can with my existing stash.  So here we go......

Claudine's Week 6 cards can be found HERE

Card 9 I painted my card with primary magenta acrylic.  I did take a picture but it was boring so I'm not showing it to you.  So there!!  Claudine used Tim Holtz stamps for both her cards but I don't have those but I do have a Sizzix embossing folder (don't know the name) so I inked it up with Colorbox Plumeria chalk, put in a piece of white tissue and ran it through the bigshot.  Then I glued it down and while it was still wet I rubbed areas away to expose the background.  OK, you can see a picture of that



As I've said I don't have the stamps Claudine used but I do have the Halloween Shadows die so I was going to use the line of people along the bottom but.....  Well, I'm working on these giant cards, 9x14cm LOL, and I tend to orientate them upright so the people were just too small.  After some brain crunching I decided to scribble around the edge with an embossing pen and add black embossing powder.  Then I die cut Sizzix raven and cat movers and shapers dies and also embossed them with black.  These dies are a little bigger than the images on the embossing folder but close enough for us chickens.  

Card 10  This was a non-starter cos I had nothing Claudine used and no ideas.  So i decided to splat some frayed burlap and fired brick distress stain on my card.  I liked that and decided to fill the gaps with copper acrylic paint.  I didn't like that but when I tried to wipe it off it went all like this, which I did like.  Don't you love a happy accident.  (This photo is a little bit red.  I think I caught the metallic gloss so actually the finished card photo is more like the real colour.  Say la doo dah)




Honestly, I don't know what happened!!  I found these Retro Halloween stamps and decided to use the witch's head, but she needed a body, so I used the skeleton stamp.  Then it looked like the diet had gone a bit wrong so I added the bubble alphabet stickers and DRS spooky eyes to break up the background.  The bat looked suitably surprized so I stuck him on as well.  


What a pair!!  I am loving this challenge and all Claudine's fab inspiration.  I am loving my altered deck.  I am trying to think up a way to display them.  They are too cool.  Am I allowed to say that about my own art??  Yeah, why not.  

These beauties also joining the fun at

 Thanks for your visit.  Hugz

7 comments:

Claudine said...

OMG, I love them both, your skellie card is fab, love that boarder you did with the cat and crow. You witch card is comical and funny, love it!

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

These are absolutely fabulous! And your write-up cracked me up, too. I highly doubt that anything you make would be boring enough to NOT show us! In any event, thanks for being an equally talented writer and artist. I love the non-traditional color palette of your skeleton card and think the effect is really cool. That technique you did with the black embossing powder was genius! I also got a big laugh out of your "Witch Diet" card. You did an amazing job on both and I'm so glad you shared these with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Sylvia said...

Sounds like a great challenge, love these Halloween themed cards, absolutely fabulous.

Sylv xx

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Both of these came out fabulous! I just love the Witch diet--that was very creative thinking!

Like I've said before, I have few/none of the supplies--not even a die cutter so I always have a heavy thinking session for my cards. My brain is getting a real workout with this challenge!

Deepti said...

These are so artistic :) great texturing !

Becca Cruger said...

I love to see your creative process unfold. The background on the second card is something special. Really neat!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was really impressed with your outside the box thinking on these. That witch diet was too clever. I enjoyed watching you take these cards from start to completion. Loved the backgrounds, too.