Sunday 15 May 2016

Stands On Mountains

Hello.  Welcome.  A few months ago I asked for suggestions for mixed media challenges after a couple that I followed had stopped.  One suggested blog was Things to Alter, and I have been playing along ever since.  They also have a facebook group which is filled with some really crazy gals, so I fit right in.  As a plus there is also a load of fab altered art and mixed media gorgeousness on show, so, if that floats your boat, do drop by.  

I must admit although I like altered art I don't do so much.  But I do love mixed media.  Definitions vary.  I always though you had to hit it with paper and metal and fabric and elephants for it to be mixed media, but it turns out that if you use ink and paint and brusho's then that's also mixed media.  So I have become a CAS mixed media type chick.  Then Jac, the brains behind Things to Alter asked if I would like to GDT and make a card using her MDF cuts.  Yes please!!  So here it is.  Birthday wishes from the mountain griller.



I love these MDF bits.  Surprisingly chunky, but still light.  So the card won't cos an arm and a banana to send, and they won't get crushed by Mr Post.  



I used a gold texture card base.  I ripped some paper scraps in shades of yellow and orange and arranged them on the card.  Then I cut Spellbinders Small Scallop Octagon from book paper, coloured with distress inks, and added part of it as the sun to my rays.  I cut Sizzix Mountains strip die from blue card and used part of it at the bottom of the card.



I stood Make a Wish Monkey in the mountains.  Love these monkeys.



I stamped and embossed sentiments from Rubber Dance Happy Birthday set onto Things to Alter Lolly Sticks.  It takes a bit of heat to melt the powder, but don't heat too much or it starts to sink into the MDF.  



I haven't coloured the MDF pieces.  They come this gorgeous shade of brown with extra char marks.  I think they look great 'au natural'.  

Thanks Jac for having me as a guest designer today and thank you for dropping by.  Hugz.

My wishful monkey is joining the fun at
The Craft Barn Two Weekly Challenge - Sun & Yellow
MFP Stamps Challenge 20 - Half Die Cut
Repeat Impressions DCC51 - Use Your Leftover Supplies & Paper
Our Creative Corner - Hit the Books 
The Artistic Stamper Creative Team Challenge - Collage 

13 comments:

Pat said...

Very cute

Julia said...

Great idea to make your sun from torn paper, it looks splendid.

Croms' Cubby Hole said...

Love the way you have used this little monkey. Thanks for joining in the fun at TTA xxx HA-C

Bibi Lindahl said...

Love the sun! Perfect combo of MDF monkey and birthday stamps. Thank you! ♥

Unknown said...

Hehhehehehe- so fun Gail. You started the week off great for me - smiling big!!! j.

Unknown said...

P.S. I was so busy giggling and enjoying your work that I forgot to thank you for joining our 'Hit the Books' Challenge at OUR CREATIVE CORNER :) j.

Juliz Design Post said...

What a great design and very cute. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Julie x

Heather said...

Very fun!! Mixed Media is too intimidating for me, but you did a fabulous job. Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built (sorry I'm so late in commenting).

Vickie Y said...

Adorable! Thank you for sharing with us at MFP Stamps Challenge.

Gemma Hynes said...

So fun and cute, thank you for joining in this months challenge over at The Artistic Stamper.

Jane said...

Love your sunshine, a really fun card! Thank you for entering The Craft Barn Challenge.
Jane x

maggie said...

A great way to create the sunshine element on your fun card.

Jennie Atkinson said...

Such a fun card! Thank you for joining us at Our Creative Corner for our Hit the Books Challenge. Jennie